Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ah, Paris


One of my favorite quotes says:
"Tourists don't know where they've been, travelers don't know where they're going" -Paul Theroux

If this is true, we were definitely travelers in Cameroon (not knowing where we're going most of the time) but in Paris, we blurred the line a bit. At times we didn't know where we were, where we were headed or where we had come from-- all at the same time. But we had a great time!! Navigating the Metro system took some getting used to (made me miss the simplicity of the Portland Streetcar), but we managed!! Only having two days in the city we didn't get to see everything (obviously) but it was amazing to be surrounded by that much art and history! Everywhere you looked were intricately decorated buildings, statues and bridges- each demonstrating the passion and skill of true craftsmanship.
On Saturday Kelly, Haley, Jenna, Jen and I went for a walk-- to the Eiffel Tower. Well, we it was a lot farther than we realized, but we got most of the way there before we gave in and used the Metro. We walked by the Lourve (which was overwhelming- I can't even imagine what the inside is like). Sunday a bunch of us went to Mass at Notre Dame, then spent some time shopping, and of course eating!! A little later, Natalie, Johnna and I went to the Basilique du Sacre Coeur which overlooks the whole city. By the time we got there it was dusk and the city lights were just beginning to shine. Off in the distance we saw the Eiffel Tower light up and later that evening we made another venture to get a better look. It was absolutely breath taking. Pictures can't even do it justice. I've found that true of so many things though. (But then again, sometimes pictures capture moments that would be lost in the haste of daily living)
In either case, I had a wonderful time-- and the Eiffel Tower is by far my favorite; and if it hadn't been freezing I would have sat admired it all day (and night)



I have a few things I've learned during my short 48 hours in Paris:
        1)   A.  French food is the best
              B.  I need to learn to cook French food- probably with the help of Julia Child
        2) I would like to learn to speak French-- in my free time
        3) A return visit is a must (at some point-- maybe after I complete point 2?)

1 comment:

  1. I'm awfully glad you had such a fabulous trip! it's so great to see your notes, and I look forward to hearing more about your adventures, and seeing photos at some point in the nearish future.

    maybe I can treat you to a meal at le Petit Provence some time - good French-style (but not fancy fancy) food and some luscious pastries

    ReplyDelete